Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Location of County Home
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:27 pm 

Can anyone tell me where the old County Home was located in Uniontown? Does it still exist? I'm researching my gr grandmother's genealogy. The family lived in the Shoaf Patch town (Gyorgy & Barbara Hercsok). She became ill in 1914 and was taken to a facility (unknown). My gr Aunt was very young, but remembers it looked like a castle to her. Also, if anyone knows where the poor were buried in the area. We have yet to find any burial records for her (most likely an unmarked grave).
Thank you,
Cheryl

Post subject: Re: Location of County Home
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:53 pm 

The county home that you are looking for has been torn down - about 20 years ago and another brick building was put in it's place. If you are familiar with the area it is behind the Bob Evans' restaraunt close to the new Walmart...and yout Great Aunt is right, it did look like a castle. If you are looking for a Potter's Field check the coroners office in Uniontown - they should be able to help you locate the field where they buried the poor.

Best of Luck!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:59 am 

In case you aren't from the area, I had some free time and screenshotted the area he is talking about.

I made a red arrow pointing to (I think) the Bob Evans, and the blue arrow pointing to the walmart (the satellite map was a little behind the times, the walmart is just a patch of dirt when the satellite image was taken).

Attachments:
pic.JPG [129.05 KiB]
Downloaded 12036 times

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:06 am 

Thank you both very much for your information. I live in Texas, but wrote my cousin in PA and she said this location was very near the church, St Mary's Assumption Byzantine Church. This was the church where my g grandmother's two youngest children were baptized. Her youngest child was only 9 months old when she died. So it could be that the church has a record of her death.

Thanks again. Hope you guys are getting a break from the snow finally. I'll try to send some Texas sunshine your way. Cheryl :)