Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Uniontown Shopping Center
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 12:37 am 

Hello. I'm looking for historical information about the shopping center near 575 Morgantown Road in Uniontown aka the Uniontown Shopping Center, the one that formerly had a ALDI's and a Family Video. Dates of founding, a list of stores that have been in and out through the years, historical street views, photos, descriptions, directories, flyers, maps, anything pertaining to the square and it's historical information in general would be appreciated. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Uniontown Shopping Center
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

I'd be curious about the shopping center's history too, I was there about every night during early/mid 80s when it was a hangout. That's where i met my wife actually. I also believe the first Big Mac ever served was in the mcdonalds that used to be on the north side of the lot. Big mac I think was actually invented on McKnight Road if I recall. Unfortunately there aren't many visitors to this site. Right now my tls level (encryption) on the site needs upgraded which I think is stopping many visitors as web browsers recently started blocking older encryption. I'll get around to it some day soon here LOL this site's just hobby.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 7:23 pm 

Administrator wrote:
I'd be curious about the shopping center's history too, I was there about every night during early/mid 80s when it was a hangout. That's where i met my wife actually. I also believe the first Big Mac ever served was in the mcdonalds that used to be on the north side of the lot. Big mac I think was actually invented on McKnight Road if I recall. Unfortunately there aren't many visitors to this site. Right now my tls level (encryption) on the site needs upgraded which I think is stopping many visitors as web browsers recently started blocking older encryption. I'll get around to it some day soon here LOL this site's just hobby.

I can only hope I meet the love of my life like that someday... The mall is dead nowdays too. People really don't seem to hangout at places anymore if it's not a bar or something like that. I've been around here at night and nowdays it's more of a place to get mugged than a romantic spot.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:18 pm 

A&P

SS KRESEGE CO.

THROUGHFARE

TOWN & COUNTRY

MILITARY RECRUITING STATION

GALLATIN BANK AND FUTURE (VERSIONS)

BIG BANANA FRUIT MARKET

And YES THE FIRST BIG MAC was ACTUALLY INVENTED in the restaurant on the NORTH SIDE NEAR the exit door is now of the video store.

and for THOSE WHO DISPUTE THAT well I say PLAY THE TODAY SHOW

BIC MAC 25TH ANNIVERSARY

ON THE TODAY SHOW NBC'S MORNING SHOW

do we 'believe" the museum backers who want "credit" and traffic and may believe in ALTERNATIVE history

or the TWO MEN WHO MADE IT HAPPEN

AT THE UNIONTOWN SHOPPING CENTER.

In 2022 standing tall for what ONE KNOWS and or Believes to be TRUE

can be DANGEROUS.

Sorry that I am jaded. It is a fascinating history.

Somewhere I have a very early 1960's Picture. Ill see if I can find it.

take care

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 11:21 pm 

Admin

So You had the Red CJ5 with the Cragers?

:o ;) :D

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:36 am 
Site Admin

ZekeDunbar51-11 wrote:
I can only hope I meet the love of my life like that someday... The mall is dead nowdays too. People really don't seem to hangout at places anymore if it's not a bar or something like that. I've been around here at night and nowdays it's more of a place to get mugged than a romantic spot.

Sadly I agree with you. A lot of crime around, not just Uniontown but in general. But yea Uniontown too. I think cops feel unappreciated and are not putting in the effort they once did, again not just Uniontown but everywhere. I hate to say this, but I feel like maybe that's part of what kept the cops from rushing the school in the mass shooting the other day in Texas. Sure, the aggressive cops are bad in some instances, but that's the exact cop I'd want when the chips are down like that.

As far as the hangouts, I think it's mostly the Internet and all the electronic social options available now that killed real in-person "hangouts". In cities where foot traffic and mass transit are common, typically there is a good social vibe and lots of hangout places but even those are shrinking, at least partially due to the crime in my opinion. I can't imagine needing to ride a NY subway in today's environment.

Anyway.... I think there was a facebook group or something that was archiving old Shopping Center pics and videos... at least that's what someone told me. I don't use Facebook because of how badly they abuse private information and tracking.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:38 am 
Site Admin

MIKEFROMUNIONTOWN wrote:
Admin

So You had the Red CJ5 with the Cragers?

:o ;) :D

Nope I did not. :-)

I had a small blue "economy car", about the least impressive car you could imagine from the 80's.

I didn't have much money back then.

Had some good times at "the center" though.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:53 am 

Yeah

Those of us there were the last of the "crusin" generation. We heard the stories from "older" brothers cousins and friends and had to head out for ride on a Saturday night.

There were few jobs and gas was like 1.39 give or take and those who didn't have the small cars like a

"vette" LOL drove the BIG "OLD" bombs. A big old Ford with a 429 or 460 or a Buick with a 455 took alot of gas.

3.35 an hour didn't buy much.

Those who didn't leave to goto the military or Virginia Maryland to work faced bleak life in the 1980's

We were trained and expected to be the next "gen" of an economy that was ALREADY decided to be scrapped a decade prior.

But it was "back in THE DAY" and when being "young" ever easy?

The pictures of the place I'm still lookin.

///////