It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Deaths on quads in Fayette County
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:08 pm 

Some friends and I were just discussing these two recent incidents:

http://www.wpxi.com/news/19060599/detail.html

Fayette County Boy, 14, Killed In ATV Crash
Updated: 4:28 pm EDT April 1, 2009
DUNBAR TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- State police in Fayette County said a 14-year-old boy wasn't wearing a helmet when he crashed an all-terrain vehicle into a tree and died.
Police said Brandon Lee Murphy, of Dunbar Township, crashed at about 7:30 p.m. Tuesday on private property near Hardy Hill Road and Dunbar-Ohiopyle Road.
Murphy was pronounced dead at the scene. He was a student at Connellsville Junior High West

...and this one...

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09082/957694-100.stm

ATV driver killed in Fayette County is identified
Monday, March 23, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
An ATV driver killed last night in a collision with a motorcycle in Fayette County has been identified by the coroner's office.
Anthony Nicklow, 20, suffered fatal skull fractures in the collision that occurred after 11 p.m. along Coolspring-Jumonville Road in North Union.

The number of ATV riders that are killed every year is surprising. Why anyone would ride these things without a helmet is beyond me. And on public roads? I've seen kids screaming by on more than one occasion on these things, going too fast for a car to be going even. Must be a common thing.

I used to have one, they aren't like a car. When you cut the wheels too fast, you don't slide like a car, it digs and you flip. These are not toys.

Of course, it surprises me that people choose to ride motorcycles among the crazy public on public roads too. I hear of a lot of deaths there too.

I guess that's the good thing about living in a free country, you can do things like this if you want to. Hell, as long as it's not affecting my life, more power to them. I just don't understand it.