Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Joe Hardy's permanent impressions on Uniontown bother me.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:30 pm 

I'm not as deep into the local Fayette County politics as I should be, but I am really having a problem with the Joe Hardy name all over the place here.

I understand that Joe Hardy has done a lot of stuff for Uniontown and Fayette County, I agree, but w0w I am so tired of seeing Joe Hardy and Nemacolin Woodlands plastered all over the place. The space directly across from the courthouse is a prime example, and the Connellsville Airport I mentioned in another post is another example.

I also can't help but think a guy as busy and rich as he is should have way too much on his hands to hold the office he has. Makes me wonder what the real motive is. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Post subject: Re: Joe Hardy's permanent impressions on Uniontown bother me.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:57 pm 

Now that Joe isn't as active, perhaps we can look back on the reasons nobody thought of or were afraid to say at the time.

His efforts were kind but limited to areas of use to him personally on a business level. Having the Woodlands and also being a downtown political fixture for a time required sprucing the place up to suit his standards. Wouldn't do to have the bigwigs cruise the town and see the old Oasis Bar or the abandoned Murphys building. Better to buy them up and redo them in your own image.

Think too of the just what did Joe do for the county as a whole. Aside from being shamed into throwing money at Brownsville, what mark did he leave outside of his field of vision from the courthouse? Nothing.

What happened when he left office? Think....think.....carefully. The shops closed, the restaurant closed and the hammer's just waiting to fall on the sport shop. The money is gone. He's no longer there, he doesn't see it so why bother with it? We do have that nice mural and the parking garage that wasn't really needed and the city is stuck paying for.

His legacy is one of massive indulgence and no real lasting benefit to the city of Uniontown.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:07 pm 

Oldbazzer wrote:
What happened when he left office? Think....think.....carefully. The shops closed, the restaurant closed and the hammer's just waiting to fall on the sport shop. The money is gone. He's no longer there, he doesn't see it so why bother with it? We do have that nice mural and the parking garage that wasn't really needed and the city is stuck paying for.

His legacy is one of massive indulgence and no real lasting benefit to the city of Uniontown.

Personally I think very little of cosmetic investment. I know this sounds like I'm looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I would have rather seen the donations go towards something with a lot more substance than little mini-parks and paint.

You make a good point about the fallout now that he's not around.

Plus, who would have thought that choking Main Street down to one lane with unbearably long stoplights would have reduced visits to the stores there?!?!?

Someone on another board implied that Joe's donations were really loans, I Googled and all references I see to George C. Marshall Plan II and Joe's money show all donations. I really hope Uniontown's not on the hook for these trinkets. Is that by chance what you meant when you said "mural and the parking garage that wasn't really needed and the city is stuck paying for"?

To be fair, I have to admit that the improvements are nice to look at.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:27 am 

Joe didn't pay for the parking garage, that's a taxpayer issue. The mural? I personally don't know. Who has responsibility for the upkeep?

As far as "loans", a few locals informed me they were billed after the fact for goods used to brighten up the storefronts. You'd have to search way back in the HS for the quote but you'll find Joe said he'd provide the materials for the makeovers. He didn't say he'd provide them gratis.