Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This site more dead than ever.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:05 am 

Wow, still getting a lot of unique visitors, many with Google and Yahoo referrers so I know people are finding us in the search engines, but nobody's registering or posting.

I guess it must be that people don't want to go through the hassle of registering/logging in.

We'll just let the site sit here and see what happens. Since the traffic is low it's not hurting anything, and the bulk of the work has been done already, so we'll just let her ride.

Any suggestions please throw them my way, but I am still locked in that users must register/log in. Moreso now than ever after seeing the madness that's happening on other regional sites with the BS posting and impersonation. That would make this site a support nightmare, and I refuse to allow it to be a huge timekiller for me.

-MC

Post subject: Re: This site more dead than ever.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:08 am 

Mark,

Its up to you, but don't expect to be able to control content, and you open it up making it easier for hackers that can bring your sight down.

Uniontown population rxcept for younger crowd is just not computer savy !

I check your sight for new posts about every other day , but I'm not a local anymore, so my news wouldn't generate local interest.

Take a lokk at this one out of Oregon, a place I once thought of living. Notice the low interest in sports. This was once run by local newspaper but they isolated it of their news sight and made it available to the locals who were using it for some time.

URLs rewritten, remove parenthesis (http:)//www.mailtribuneforum.com/forums/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:56 pm 

intheusa wrote:
Take a lokk at this one out of Oregon, a place I once thought of living. Notice the low interest in sports. This was once run by local newspaper but they isolated it of their news sight and made it available to the locals who were using it for some time.

URLs rewritten, remove parenthesis (http:)//www.mailtribuneforum.com/forums/

Yea, that one's getting a lot more activity than this one is. I don't plan on taking this one down any time soon, it's not really costing anything as long as the bandwidth stays low. I am just surprised with the hitcount we have that there aren't at least a few more regulars.

When I ran my BBS years ago, all it took was two or three people to start a conversation about something and it would continue on for days and get many others joining in.

We'll see what happens. I have no other use for the uniontown.com domain at the moment!!!

I agree, I don't want to open it up to hackers.

I was just trying to fix a friend's account who was trying to log in to post, and when I searched for account names there were many hundreds of what appear to be automated signup bots trying to get into the server with different names. The "captcha" is what is stopping this site from being flooded right now, I'm convinced of it. If I get time I'll post a screenshot for everyone to see, it's amazing.

BTW; for anyone who doesn't know, the "captcha" is the picture of the letters and numbers that you have to enter by hand. It's formatted in a way that automated bots and such can't read the characters, it proves you are a human (most of the time). Some captchas have been broken with OCR (optical character recognition).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:23 pm 
Site Admin

I thot I better post this screenshot now or I'll forget. Yes, that's 15 attempts just so far today, and notice that there are 42 screens full of these, and I even cut the screen off at the bottom. So, yes, there are a lot of attempts to get to our server.

Attachments:
image.JPG [88.02 KiB]
Downloaded 7601 times