Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Century III Mall to close? Two more indicators.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:52 pm 

I keep hearing how the Century III Mall is going to close.

Well, there are two more indicators.

First, the genius mall management complained to the Pittsburgh Port Authority about the buses in and out of the mall causing wear and tear on the parking lot, and asked the Port Authority to help pay for the repairs to the mall parking lot. The Port Authority has now (coincidence?) greatly reduced bus traffic to/from the Mall. Here's what the mall management is quoted as saying:

""Our intent was not to eliminate service for entire neighborhoods. Some of these same buses come every 20 minutes. We wanted them to make less frequent trips on the same routes. Maybe every 40 minutes rather than every 20 minutes."

Secondly, this article that I was reading that mentioned the above also states that the mall has 6 "major anchor" stores, one of which was Steve and Barry's. Welp, I just drove by the mall the other day and Steve and Barry's is going out of business.

The mall seems to have a lot of traffic, anyone know if this mall is going down or not?

Post subject: Re: Century III Mall to close? Two more indicators.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:50 am 

Just another victim of the retail wars. It can't really be tracked down to any one event. More of a gradual change in consumer ways that leads them elsewhere. The riverfront areas developed and that pulled a lot of the city crowd away, mall management suffered setbacks when chain after chain came and went. Upkeep inside and out went south as revenues fell. Every square inch of ground around it developed with more stores. Funny, the one thing that's maintained a position of respect since the 1960's is old Southland.

It wouldn't be the first time a shopping destination has gone beyond the sell-by date. Eastland Mall was once the big thing, gone. Laurel Mall once was so busy you had to park in the back lot. Washington Mall, Greengate Mall, on and on. Bigger, better, brighter, the consumer follows like a moth looking for a warm light.

Post subject: Re: Century III Mall to close? Two more indicators.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:23 am 

Oldbazzer wrote:
Laurel Mall once was so busy you had to park in the back lot. Washington Mall, Greengate Mall, on and on. Bigger, better, brighter, the consumer follows like a moth looking for a warm light.

I visited Laurel Mall maybe a year ago after not being there in a while, and was shocked at just how dead it was. I was so shocked that I took a few pix with my cellphone. I was literally the only one in the halls of that mall, attaching pix here.

Attachments:
Laurelmall5.jpg [19.79 KiB]
Downloaded 12256 times
Laurelmall4.jpg [46.21 KiB]
Downloaded 12261 times
Laurelmall3.jpg [31.39 KiB]
Downloaded 12258 times