Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small Talk
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:23 pm 

Mr Mcs7

There may be little response to this forum, well mainly many of the educated leave Uniontown.

As of the census[6] of 2000, there were 12,422 people, 5,423 households, and 3,031 families residing in the city.

On a Fayette County level its:

As of the census[3] of 2000, there were 148,644 people, 59,969 households, and 41,198 families residing in the county. The county peaked in 1940 with 200,000 and declined to its low in 1990 at 145,351, although the estimate for 2008 is 145,925. That should explain allot as the ambitious leave for greener pastures.

I've got you by 20 years, and even though I had a management job at USS I quit and left the county & the state in 1978. Although I left for the Sunny state on the Pacific Ocean, many migrated to Ohio, most to Cleveland and surrounding cities . I would advise the eastern part of Pa, York county has many good manufacturing companies.

Many of the younger group are just texting to friends, mostly just small talk, much the same you would find in bar room conversation. In fact much isn't even necessary, but the peer pressure urge is very strong.

By the way I wouldn't recommend to become and practice as an engineer today, with one exception that being Civil. The pay and work and retirement benefits is not worth the effort. Become a teacher, its much easier, with less commute, more stable, secure, and great vacations.

Post subject: Re: Small Talk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:36 pm 

I myself drive 77 miles one way to work from Uniontown. I am a network security engineer at a large law firm.

Not much chance of finding this position in Uniontown.

I completely understand why people leave Uniontown. By all rights, I shouldn't be here. Who in their right mind would drive 77 miles to work without moving closer to work??

Me I guess.

Post subject: Re: Small Talk
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:07 pm 

intheusa wrote:
Mr Mcs7

There may be little response to this forum, well mainly many of the educated leave Uniontown.

As of the census[6] of 2000, there were 12,422 people, 5,423 households, and 3,031 families residing in the city.

On a Fayette County level its:

As of the census[3] of 2000, there were 148,644 people, 59,969 households, and 41,198 families residing in the county. The county peaked in 1940 with 200,000 and declined to its low in 1990 at 145,351, although the estimate for 2008 is 145,925. That should explain allot as the ambitious leave for greener pastures.

I've got you by 20 years, and even though I had a management job at USS I quit and left the county & the state in 1978. Although I left for the Sunny state on the Pacific Ocean, many migrated to Ohio, most to Cleveland and surrounding cities . I would advise the eastern part of Pa, York county has many good manufacturing companies.

Many of the younger group are just texting to friends, mostly just small talk, much the same you would find in bar room conversation. In fact much isn't even necessary, but the peer pressure urge is very strong.

By the way I wouldn't recommend to become and practice as an engineer today, with one exception that being Civil. The pay and work and retirement benefits is not worth the effort. Become a teacher, its much easier, with less commute, more stable, secure, and great vacations.

I love California. I should say the scenary anyway. The Drive up and down HWY395 I never seem to get enough of, and as for Tioga Pass Road...well the first time I needed an extra pair of Haines by the time we go to the bottom! lol! I could go on casue it was my dream many years ago but I have to settle for visits there when I can.

As for thinking locally in terms of the economy, we need something. This Natural Gas 1.5 3.0 miles below our feet is looking better and better the more I learn. It might bring some of the glory and opportunity back. I want to tell the early 20 somethings there might be a reason to stay.

For me I kinda do something like Mark is doing now but I think I would like a shot at this Marcellus Shale in some as of yet undetermined capacity. That would pay enough for my family and I to live a working class to lower middle lifestyle. I read somewhere that after 80K a yearfor a family of 4 happiness is no longer affected...who knows..a working couple couple one in this new industry and another in a semi pro type job can get there multiply that by about 2000-3000 families and that would inject some serious cash in this area. If its not all spent at China Mart anyway.

Mark maybe we could have another forum thread just for homegrown business that benefits our LOCAL PEOPLE. maybe its already been done.

anyway, I want a politician to talk about how we are going to employ our fellow Pennsylvania Citizens, create opportunity for small business to FLOURISH, LESS taxes, AND INCENTIVE to train hire and retain locals and close loopholes for gameplayers to game the system for their WEFARE CHECK" I know i kno..i won't get on the soapbox. Just give us that want to WORK hard and make a decent wage to take care of our families without selling our souls to the "devils" out there.

take care all