Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: MAYBE WE NEED TO THROW OUT THE MAGISTRATES
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:23 pm 

ANY MAGISTRATE WHO PUTS A PARENT IN JAIL BECAUSE THEY OWE A SCHOOL DISTRICT $19.78 FOR THEIR KIDS SCHOOL LUNCH SHOULD BE THROWN OUT OF OFFICE.

REMEMBER PEOPLE, YOU STILL HAVE THE POWER OVER THEM AT THE BALLOT BOX...STOP VOTING IN THESE UNJUST JUDGES.

In reality the magistrates office will just get a "court cost" cut after the fines are paid by the parent.

Money making schemes from the people that can LEAST afford it....

Wake up people.

Post subject: Re: MAYBE WE NEED TO THROW OUT THE MAGISTRATES
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:52 pm 

Listen

I don't want people who really can't work or pay to suffer anymore. We that live here know that there IS is alot of ABUSE OF THE SYSTEM, by people who can work. That is not what I am talking about here.

What I am saying is that for a school district to use CRIMINAL PRECEEDINGS and the threat of criminal preceedings to collect a debt is NOT a correct use of the law.

Debts are a CIVIL MATTER ..no one should have their FREEDOM (right to life , liberty and pursuit of happiness)...threatened for $29.65.

The information is at WTAETV.COM ,LOOK UP JEANETTE SCHOOL DISTRICT, Parents charged with a CRIME OF THEFT!

DEFINITION OF "TYRANNY" - oppressive power exerted by government

Garbage haulers are now using this concept too. We have to get a TEST CASE INTO THE LEGAL SYSTEM.

Any Lawyers out there want to start fighting back? Start in Jeanette.

If we the PEOPLE don't start fighting back, it will be the electric bill, then the gas bill then the ETC ETC....ETC.......

AGAIN THIS IS A CIVIL MATTER..UNLESS YOU ALL WANT DEBTORS PRISONS AGAIN!

right now under our current system , the magistrates have the POWER...they need to know that we the people have the power of the ballot box.........throw out this type of case and let the people know that you will not accpet this type of case ..its a civil matter

and remember this, The Good Book says that Oppression of the Poor is a Sin. someone who owes 29.65 for a lunch should NOT BE REQUIRED to pay ALL THOSE EXTRA FEES AND COSTS THAT WILL ADD HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS TO STAY OUT OF JAIL

THIS WHOLE THING IS SO CORRUPT!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:12 pm 

Surely a case of political corruption.

So the school extends credit to the child's family for lunches, and when the deadbeat parents don't pay up it's the 'magistrates' who are wrong for enforcing the law to try and collect? And they should be voted out of office for doing so?

Were you born retarded?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:52 pm 

Hey SouthUnionKid..

Glad to see some posting here!!!

Anyway, I think the point is that anyone extending credit to someone where the debtor doesn't pay is not "theft". I agree with the poster's point that if someone is owed money, there are civil processes for that. If someone owed me money, I could hit them in small claims court, win a judgement, and it'll be a judgement over their heads that current/future income and/or property can be seized. Debtor's prison is a scary thought.

Now, I did not google the case, and there might be extenuating circumstances that I am not aware of, like maybe the debtors used false information to obtain the credit, or there was some other wrong doing that makes this a criminal thing. Otherwise it should stay civil.

I don't believe it's a criminal thing, it's certainly not "stealing" in my opinion.

If I ever get time to google it, I'll follow this up with a correction if I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:13 pm 

Well ,the "VERDICT", should be in soon. Anything other than a dismissal , is in itself, a violation of law, or , at the very least a misapplication or MISUSE, of the legal system.

Using the criminal system for this CIVIL matter to collect money, may be the method another poster uses finance their or their little groups' activities. :?:

Here is the original article. I wanted to make sure I followed up.

URLs rewritten, remove parenthesis (http:)//www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 81603.html

Preliminary hearings are scheduled June 17 before Jeannette District Judge Joseph DeMarchis.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:08 pm 

I only had time to check your link, not search the Internet, but the link does mention filing with the magistrate which does imply a criminal filing, but that link didn't say the filing was for the crime of "theft".

Without question, if that's what the filing claims, it should certainly be thrown out, and the persons responsible for this attempted misuse of the law should be put on trial for malicious prosecution.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:21 am 

here are 2 links about the story one is from wtaetv.

URLs rewritten, remove parenthesis (http:)//www.truecrimereport.com/2010/06/ ... _theft.php

URLs rewritten, remove parenthesis (http:)//www.thepittsburghchannel.com/fam ... etail.html

12 Parents Charged With Theft Over Unpaid School Lunch Money
Jeannette School District Takes Them To Court
POSTED: 5:04 pm EDT June 17, 2010
Email Print
Comments (66)JEANNETTE, Pa. --
Some parents in the Jeannette School District were criminally charged with theft because they owed school lunch money.

"They shouldn't have went that extreme," said Rick Snyder, one of 12 parents who was called to a court hearing Thursday.

The state pays for Snyder's daughter's lunch, but he owed the school district $105 for extra snacks that the girl bought in the last school year.

Snyder paid the bill and the theft charge against him was dropped.

"They shouldn't even let -- if they don't have the extra money to buy the extra food, then don't sell it to them, instead of building up a credit, and if you don't pay it, they don't get a report card if you don't pay it," Snyder said.

The school district said it gave parents plenty of warning that the bill was due, but some just didn't pay.

SURVEY
Do you think parents should face criminal charges over school lunch debts?
Yes, it's a financial issue for the schools
No, there has to be another way to settle it

Results | Disclaimer | E-Mail

Current resluts have this survey at 55% NO to 45% YES IF Those are truly accurate poll results I am suprised.

Some owed small amounts like $29 or $58, but Channel 4 Action News found a woman who owed more than $263.

By the end of the school year, the district said it was out more than $3,000.

"We feed all of our children, regardless, but obviously you need to pay for it," school board president Randy Highlands said. "We have a budget, and we're responsible for meeting that budget, and without payment of that budget, we can't meet it and provide the necessary meals to the kids."

Nine parents paid Thursday. The other three asked for their hearings to be rescheduled.

Why reschedule? Work or other reasons. This threating the people with THEFT charges is still a MISUSE of the Criminal Justice system to resolve this CIVIL matter. Anyway i just hope those who read this will keep in mind the power of "the man" to take away our right life LIBERTY and the pursuit if happiness NEEDS TO BE KEPT IN CHECK ...less we all wake up one day facing UNLAWFUL uses of "the SYSTEM"

"We had several cases here today with the Jeannette School District. We resolved many of them," Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Dupilka said.

resolved how? Its supposedly a "criminal" matter...which is public information no ?

Well I know that I have beat this issue alot, so I will just let it go. Just remember in order to remain "free" participation and keeping up with what YOUR government is doing is YOUR responsibility.

Jeannette said it's very important for any family who needs subsidized school lunches to fill out the paperwork that will be sent home at the beginning of the next school year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:28 am 

Just read some of those, you are right, they were charged with theft.

This is absolutely a misuse of the law and legal system, I'd like to see "criminal" charges of filing a false report on whoever was responsible for this, and civil action should be taken as well and these parents should receive punitive damages for being falsely accused of theft in a situation where there clearly was no theft.

When I was in high school, I forgot that I owed money on a yearbook that I ordered. I did not receive my diploma until that was paid. Had I been accused of the crime of theft, I would have gone ballistic on someone.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:54 pm 

Oh cry me a river boys.

If it takes the school charging these deadbeats in criminal court to pay up for 20 bucks worth of lunch money, so what?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:42 am 

Because it's not the law.

It's analogous to you losing your job, not able to make the car payments you "promised" you would pay, and then being charged criminally for theft by the car l0an company.

It's a misuse of the law, it's not a criminal action, it's a civil action. They can take you to civil court, and would probably win judgement against you, but you didn't STEAL from them. You broke your agreement, that's all.

Now, let's say you got a car l0an and there really was no car, and you falsified the paperwork or did something to prove your intent was to defraud the car l0an company out of their money, then maybe you'd have an argument for theft. Clearly not the case here. These people should have been sued civilly for the money they owed, nothing more.