Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GM and Buy American would help IF we had the will
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:09 pm 

Folks remember back in the 80's when the BUY AMERICAN campaign was a superficial attempt to save our country, economy and jobs?

Right now on a practical matter.....what if we all were given the chance to buy a General Motors vehicle say x amount of discount, and a fair credit report not perfect just something that shows you are trying.....and how much would that cost?

I guarantee you that it would be far less than the trillions that are being squandered now and it would KEEP ALL THE AMERICAN MANUFACUTRING PLANTS OPEN with all the associated jobs aand new ones i am sure

but agreements like NAFTA AND THE WTO prohibit us here in the United States from exercising our own soverignty.

There are sommon sense ideas that would keep us going and make this country great again...we just need the will to implement it

Take care all

ps remember The COngress and President (Obama and Bush) are giving OUR tax dollars away...and not for us ,the citizens

Post subject: Re: GM and Buy American would help IF we had the will
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:52 pm 

mcs7 wrote:
Folks remember back in the 80's when the BUY AMERICAN campaign was a superficial attempt to save our country, economy and jobs?

The bottom line on this one is people are more cheap than patriotic.

When it gets right down to it, they'll take a Chinese-made widget over an American one if it costs half the price.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:54 am 

Thats not a fair judgement of who will buy American or foreign products. Even if you do some homework you will find your American car has a great deal of foreign made parts within. In fact many of fords products are made in Canada. Now why is that ?

Here in the USA to many union workers thought it was cute to mess up a product. Then again management would push many workers to the point that quality is lost to satisfy production. If the worker losses pride in his work then the product will eventually suck.

I stopped buying American cars when you couldn't keep a front end alignment for 100 miles on Penna roads. I did buy a 4W drive truck by Ford out of Canada, but the quality sucked. Battery went bad in 3 months, paid extra for the seats and the material fell apart in 2-yrs. Started leaking oil from valve pan gasket in less than 25000 miles, and valve stem started leaking back into #1 cylinder under 60,000 miles. Gray paint here in Calif faded and started oxidizing in less than 5 years. Now why would someone give them a 2nd try.

Anyone price American trucks lately. Most cost more than 1/3 of the homes in Uniontown.

As for other products, many made under American names are manufacturered in China, and some say made in USA, but that made in USA is just enough assembly to wear the label. Heck, even all those fancy brand name sneakers are made in 3rd world countries for less than $5.00. Slab a brand name sticker on them and sell it to American suckers for over $100.00.

I don't think any electronics are made in the USA anymore.

I could go on. So why shouldn't someone in USA make their own value judgement as to best bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:56 pm 

intheusa wrote:
Here in the USA to many union workers thought it was cute to mess up a product. Then again management would push many workers to the point that quality is lost to satisfy production. If the worker losses pride in his work then the product will eventually suck.

I stopped buying American cars when you couldn't keep a front end alignment for 100 miles on Penna roads. I did buy a 4W drive truck by Ford out of Canada, but the quality sucked.

I think that's part of it, but I think it's more that union labor is inherently lower quality because the union has created an atmosphere where if you at least show up to work and follow the technical rules, you'll never be fired. This is much different than an open market job where the worker does the best job he can because he knows he can be fired if he's not pulling his weight. What's sad is the union worker gets an artificially high pay for doing a worse job.

intheusa wrote:
Anyone price American trucks lately. Most cost more than 1/3 of the homes in Uniontown.

This is one I too have a hard time understanding. Why are these people paying so much for vehicles in general? Yea trucks are really high, but SUV's are high too. The most I ever paid for a car was a used 1997 Corvette about 5 years ago for $19k, and I only did that because I knew the car would never be worth less than $16k or $17k even in 10 years. I'll never pay more than say $12k maybe up to $15 for something really nice. Obviously this means I'll probably never own a new vehicle, but that's just fine with me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:43 am 

I don't want to argue the micro picture yet in a small example i bought my first new Truck a 2000 FORD 4x4, and at 135k only 1 major tuneup, tires, brakes, and original clutch! I was built in Norfolk with Union labor.

I have seen Bigtime union abuse too so I agree there is good and bad in unions just like good and bad in the corporate world

What I am trying to advocate is something that transcends unions and management..its NATIONALISM not internationalism...we all must do what it takes..no matter what position we hold...we must do what is best for the United States so we have a country for our children and grandchildren. Stop buying chinese widgets..the next time you need a pair of pliers buy Channelocks...they cost about 10 dollars instead of 3-5 but they are made right here in Pennsylvania...just one example say no whenever possible to anything made oversseas

This will take time..tell your friends..tell your family...blog it across the net..whatever it takes to wake people up and educate them....this thing may already be lost but we should at least try to save it.

on another note..there are times that I fret about our future..I am grateful to have enjoyed some of the best there is to offer.. I only hope it will still be there for the generations to come..but it is our responsibility to make that happen..just like those b4 us did.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:28 pm 

mcs7 wrote:
What I am trying to advocate is something that transcends unions and management..its NATIONALISM not internationalism...we all must do what it takes..no matter what position we hold...we must do what is best for the United States so we have a country for our children and grandchildren. Stop buying chinese widgets..the next time you need a pair of pliers buy Channelocks...they cost about 10 dollars instead of 3-5 but they are made right here in Pennsylvania...just one example say no whenever possible to anything made oversseas.

I think that ship has sailed. I hate to say it, but I have been price-shopping the hell out of everything trying to make my paycheck stretch as far as possible. I "want" to buy American, but w0w when I can get things mere fractions of the price, it's hard to resist.

Recent examples, I needed an SD card reader for my computer, a few cables for my new television, audio cable for my car, and some other things. I can hit Ebay and get it from overseas (literally, this stuff shipped from Hong Kong) for WAY cheaper than I can buy it here at Radio Shack. I mean, like WAY cheaper. I think the cables were like $4 shipped versus like $8 or more at Radio Shack.

I bought a 1-gig USB Thumbdrive for I think $4.50 SHIPPED to my door from Ebay.

And, the quality is "ok". Not the greatest, but for the money well worth it. It all works perfectly.

So, I myself have sold out to the cheap overseas stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:10 pm 

What you bought was probably what radioshack buys, they just mark it up. Thats the same with many stores in the USA.

To make a point when you go shopping look for the labels. I bet if you even wrote letters to your favorite food suppliers and asked if their product or ingredients are made in foreign countries that over 1/2 would have to reply yes.

When possible and quality is about the same along with pricing I would buy an American product. I'm really glad MSC7 had good luck with his Ford 4x4.

Their is gone to be big changes within the next 10 years. How it all comes down will have to do with people accepting it as sheep or rebel much like the efforts against the Vietnam conflict. I won't call it a war, much like Iraq is no longer a war, but just a poorly payed American police force.

I like what MSC7 says or thinks though !