Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: this forum and domain
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:22 am 

Mark

I think this is a great use for the domain. I have been on the net since 1997 and been playing with computers since an apple 64. and have always checked uniontown.com. Now with the proliferation of computers to the point of 2-3 or more machines per household all we need to to snail mail some advertising or billboard or even newsprint to advertise this forum to get the ball rolling.

Alot of good things can come with the free exchange of ideas and and PHP forums offer just such a place.

There will always be those that either like to spam and create problems or don't like new ideas becasue that would change the status quo and therefore their cushy place in life but used properly this forum can be a powerful tool for change and the exchange of ideas that can make things better for everyone. Not a utopia just better. So keep up the good work and maybe set up a link for paypal for those to make donations if you need help with admin costs.

After visiting so many place in person and virtual in this country and international I would like to see our county brought forward into the 21st century and throw off the old stigmas that are so entrenched into the psyche of those who live or have lived here.

Take care all

Post subject: Re: this forum and domain
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:20 pm 

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I am not really too concerned about this site, it's not like it's a business or anything, I am not looking to make money off of it or anything. I was hoping it would be more like the Bulletin Boards from years ago, where lots of people would join in. It's all for fun.

That's why I tried to get the two games going here, the old BBS's had online games that the users could get in to. I thought that would be fun to do.

I think it's just a matter of time. If I get too discouraged, like to the point where I am considering taking it down, maybe I will throw out some money for advertising or something as a last resort. Right now the bandwidth this consumes is next to nothing, and since it's low bandwidth Pulsenet (URLs rewritten, remove parenthesis (http:)//www.pulsenet.com) is being very very generous and helpful allowing me to keep it live.

We get a ton of visitors here. I can tell from the web logs, they show the referrers (the page that sent the user to us) and there are many many people finding us through google and yahoo and all other search engines. Lots of hits and views but very little participation for whatever reason.

As far as the Spam, it's gone. I haven't had an automated bot hit here since I added that one simple question to the registration page, which made my registration process just different enough that the scripted bots don't work any more.

Thanks again for the advice!!!