Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KIRBY VACUUM HIGH PRESSURE SALES- Thumbs DOWN. BEWARE!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:41 am 

I don't have first-hand experience with the Uniontown Kirby office specifically, but here is a story I was told by two different people, one of them I'm close to so this is someone who I totally believe. If someone knows this to not be true (or knows it to be true) please let me know.

From the way I understand it, a while ago there was a drawing at the Fayette County Fair for a free whole house carpet cleaning. Apparently anyone who entered this "contest" won, because this was not a contest but instead a way to trick people into sitting through a Kirby sales pitch.

So, the "winner" allowed these people into their home thinking that they had won a prize, where they instead endured a multi-hour high-pressure sales pitch, and under the guise that it was a free one-week trial, they agreed to try the Kirby vacuum. The sales person said it's policy to take their old vacuum to ensure that they were only using the Kirby during that week. So, the sales person left with their old vacuum leaving the Kirby behind.

The way I understand it, the "winner" decided that they didn't want the Kirby, so the sales person said that the "winner" owed a "fee" to recondition the Kirby that they were trying to give back, and that they would not be getting their old vacuum returned to them until this fee was paid, and worse, they would be charged for the Kirby if they didn't pay the fee. This fee was over $100 from my recollection.

The reason I posted this now although this incident happened a few years ago is because I recently had a Kirby sales person knock at my door, and I made sure to let him know that I don't appreciate Kirby's high-pressure tactics and there was no way they were getting through my door. This made me remember the stories, and I thought they'd be a good addition to this forum.

From what I understand, the Kirby vacuums work reasonably well, but they are extremely expensive and the sales tactics are too aggressive.

I also understand that they sometimes go door to door promising a free "home cleaning", never mentioning the word Kirby until the whole sales staff has invaded your home, where you then undergo a grueling multi-hour high pressure sales pitch.

I don't know why people just don't say "get out" when they are in the middle of something like this. This is worse than car sales tactics. But, I guess this tactic works or they wouldn't do it.

Post subject: Re: KIRBY VACUUM HIGH PRESSURE SALES- Thumbs DOWN. BEWARE!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:06 pm 

Some people are just so meek. If I say its out of my Casa then it better be Hasta la Vista baby.

Then again its
Hello
Hi, I'm Jack or Jill and would like to give you a free demo carpet cleaning !

Most times its Just "No", and close the door,

but then again at my age its gone to depend Jill's appearance, or more plainly is she hot.

All kidding aside, I don't give sales people in person or on the phone even a chance to start a conversation.

Post subject: Re: KIRBY VACUUM HIGH PRESSURE SALES- Thumbs DOWN. BEWARE!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:13 pm 

intheusa wrote:

but then again at my age its gone to depend Jill's appearance, or more plainly is she hot.

All kidding aside, I don't give sales people in person or on the phone even a chance to start a conversation.

You could have her come in and let her give her pitch, and then you can give her YOUR pitch and try to ask her out on a date!!!

You never know!

But I'm with you, but I am worse. I actually get offended when someone intrudes on my life to try to push something on me like that. I hate telemarketers, I even block banner ad sites in my PC when I surf, I do almost ALL of my surfing with a browser that doesn't even have Flash installed. You'd be surprised how much faster the surfing is, and how much better the pages look without all the blinking moving advertisements all over them.

I hate the intrusion of someone trying to sell me something, either in person, on the phone, or on the computer.

I have a Tivo, and even their ads on their screens lately are getting me to the point of cancellation.