Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: old cemetery near Fulton Knob
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:59 am 

Would there be anyone out here that might know the whereabouts of the old cemetery located on Fulton Knob off Rt. 40.
It's listed on the Fayette County Genealogy Project website as being off Washington Springs Road somewhere in behind the Lookout Tower.
Just interested in these old forgotten cemeteries. Have found a few others but this one is being a lot more difficult to find.
Have been looking for it a few times but the directions just don't matchup to good. That or we are just overlooking it. :(
Thanks in advance if you can help.

Post subject: Re: old cemetery near Fulton Knob
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:13 pm 

When I am looking for a larger landmark or things like that, I use the Bird's Eye view in maps.live.com.

Try this link and then click BIRD'S EYE a the top to see what I am talking about.

URLs rewritten, remove parenthesis (http:)//www.bing.com/maps/#JnE9Lldhc2hpb ... QzMTM4MDM=

(hope this works).

When you click Bird's Eye, it jumps to a much better satellite view than Google Maps can provide our area. Start double clicking to zoom in and drag around and maybe you'll actually see this cemetary you are seeking. Some really good detail there compared to Google's map.

I am not sure if this is where you were referring to, this address is near Fabrizi's Restaurant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:55 pm 

Hey thanks for trying to help out, but I think this old cemetery is very small and it would be lost in amongst all the trees to see on a map.

Here's a link to the Fayette County Genealogy site with most of the cemeteries in Fayette County.

URLs rewritten, remove parenthesis (http:)//www.pagenweb.org/~fayette/cemetery/index.html

Click on and scroll down to Fulton Knob and there a page will be brought up with the directions and brief description of the cemmetery. On the right is a Photo of the cemetery and the approximate GPS Cords of location.

As can see the directions have the cemetery out 2 miles while the GPS Cords show it being about a mile out. That's the trouble we are having. The GPS cords would put it at Fulton Knob while the Directions almost have it on the backside of the Dunbar Mts.

It's really thick in there with the weeds and briars this time of year so we may have to put off looking somemore till fall time, unless we get a good tip on the location.

again, thanks for the reply here

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:22 am 

Yea, now that I think about it, the cemeteries you are looking for aren't even visible in a Google satellite map like that, I was picturing larger maintained cemeteries.

Now that I read the description, that's going to be impossible to see from a satellite.

This seems like an interesting thing to dabble with, I didn't know that web site existed!! Very interesting.

Maybe if I get some free time I'll take my ol' Jeep up there and check it out for myself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:55 pm 

if you do go there and find the cemetery be sure to let us know. Looks like a lot of lookers at this topic. Maybe some others are interested in these old cemeteries as well.

The road in is not all that bad, except for one place at about a quarter mile in that is real rocky and a slight downhill grade, but after that it's pretty easy to get around. I drive a jeep patriot 4by so wasn't all that bad. Low clearance cars would probably not make it thru those rocks.

You can drive up by the Tower. Posted Signs on the building, but not have to get that close to check it out.

anyways, good luck. maybe you'll have some luck in finding it.