Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: NOTICE: Common spammed words to be transcoded.
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:08 am 
Site Admin

I have had to erase multiple spam posts on our board several times in the last several days, so I am implementing a new policy to help stop the spammers, or at least make their efforts worthless until I delete their posts.

Although we won the battle against the bots auto-posting to this board with the captcha and the email verification, we now have actual users registering and posting spam.

Google ranks their sites by how often someone else links to them, so posting spam here helps their google rankings by spamming us and message boards like ours.

So, as of today, I am configuring this message forum to replace certain spam words with very closely misspelled alternatives. For example, two I added today were w0w and g0ld. If you notice, there are zero's in those words. If you use the real word g0ld in a message forum, when you post the message the message forum will convert the letter O to a zero.

The idea is that if a spammer posts a message trying to push their WOW GOLD site (world of warcr@ft g0ld, my most common spammer here), Google's indexing of their post will be worthless to them because #1: all of their URL's are going to be translated to misspelled versions, and #2: users searching google aren't going to search for w0w g0ld (with the zeros in the words) so we won't be a hit for them even if google does happen to index their spam message here before I get around to deleting it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]