Site Logo

Uniontown Pennsylvania Message Forums - WWW.UNIONTOWN.COM

Discussions for Fayette County PA

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: USB 3.0
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:41 pm 

I know there is a new version of USB ratified or will soon be available.

Has anyone seen on a laptop or device know of a device available that support USB 3.0
USB 3.0 support speeds like 5.0 Gbit for something crazy like that

Post subject: Re: USB 3.0
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:53 am 

Banana Man wrote:
I know there is a new version of USB ratified or will soon be available.

Has anyone seen on a laptop or device know of a device available that support USB 3.0
USB 3.0 support speeds like 5.0 Gbit for something crazy like that

Haven't seen anything using it yet, but I do know that it's going to be kickass.

I bought an external drive that had USB2 and eSATA interfaces on it. According to their documentation here are the speeds supported: "The USB 2.0 interface is capable of up to 60MB/sec transfer rates, while the eSATA interface is capable of up to 300MB/sec transfer rates."

USB 3.0 is going to murder that. 60MB/sec is 480Mb/sec, a fraction of the 5Gb/sec you mention.

EDIT: Found a link that shows speeds, you are right. It's going to be kickass.

Here's the link:

URLs rewritten, remove parenthesis (http:)//www.brighthub.com/computing/hardware/articles/24772.aspx

USB 3.0 – Speed and Fixes
USB’s biggest weakness as a external connector is speed; or, more accurately, lack thereof. FireWire 400, while having lower maximum bandwidth than USB 2.0, is usually about 50% faster than USB. The reason is down to USB’s reliance on drivers and CPU processing, while FireWire is peer-to-peer. FireWire 800 doubles bandwidth and moves to full, instead of half, duplex (two way, instead of one way at a time) communication. eSATA buries them all, offering more bandwidth than even a Solid State Drive can use.

USB 3.0 turns things up to 5Gb/s, as opposed USB 2.0’s 480Mbits. It introduces 8b/10b signaling though, which brings the bandwidth available to your data to 400MB/s. Still a lot better than 2.0’s 60MB/s. USB 3.0 also one ups 2.0 with full duplex traffic.

Another technical tweak to be happy about is no more polling, a component of the aforementioned CPU load. Polling also increases power consumption of connected devices. USB 3.0 will also try to reduce power consumption with better control of devices (like automatically turning them off when not in use). While reducing the power used by an idle device is good, having more power available when a device needs it is also a plus.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:40 pm 

More about USB 3.0. Actually this past week, at the compnay I work for we were discussing USB 3.0.
Currently there isn't any devices that support that interface yet. As we were told, probably in 2010 there will be equipment that will be available.

I saw drawings of USB 3.0 connectors. Actually I was holding a sample cable given for us to evaluate.

The USB 3.0 "a" side looked the same. The USB 3.0 "B" side was a bit different.

The USB 3.0 "A" side like I said look the same, BUT on the drawing it supported additional pins. Actually the cable used for USB 3.0 had 11 leads.

Anyway, I think we will shortly see that interface on newer PC's and desktops PC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:37 pm 

Banana Man wrote:
The USB 3.0 "A" side like I said look the same, BUT on the drawing it supported additional pins. Actually the cable used for USB 3.0 had 11 leads.

Anyway, I think we will shortly see that interface on newer PC's and desktops PC

I've always hated the USB, mostly because it's so freaking hard to troubleshoot when it doesn't work.

Regular serial, if it doesn't work pin a loopup on pins 2 and 3 and look for your characters back.

USB is such a pain when you plug something in and it just doesn't "show up".